More events before celebrating Indigenous People's Day
from Paol TANGUY, LFSF Spanish Teacher | #4
¡Hola a todos!
¿Siguen disfrutando de la Celebración del Mes de la Herencia Hispana?
A new section this week in relation to the Hispanic Heritage Month, with a few suggestions to learn more about this annual event in the United States, which is celebrating its 53 years this year.
- Discover the official song of the celebration, Join the celebración | Hispanic Heritage Month Original Song
- Dance to the rhythm of Somos Latinos, in honor of all those who give everything to achieve their dreams in this modern-day Eldorado (the “American Dream”), with a little message from the famous Mexican actor Eugenio Derbez, full of love, brotherhood and Latino pride (follow this link: SigueHaciendola.com)
Did you know...
“Latinx” a newer term that has recently gained popularity among scholars, activists and millennials that is inclusive of gender-expansive and gender non-conforming individuals. Additionally, “Latinx” challenges the binary nature of the Spanish-language term Latino(a). The powerful “X” has opened the door to a variety of identities, and it is also used in the term “Chicanx(o/a)” to highlight the broad indigenous heritage of many groups.
USCF supports this cause of diversity through a whole article on this subject.
The 13th Latino Film Festival with Cine + Mas SF is also celebrating the LatinX essence.
- 42 feature films. 68 short films. 22 countries represented.
- A full online virtual festival and some in-person screenings from OCT 01 to 17.
- In-person screenings OCT 01, 03, 10 and 17 at the Roxie Theater
Visit the festival website or cinemassf.org for details on films and in-person screenings. Over 100 movies you can from home! Films by emerging and established filmmakers from the United States, Latin America, Spain and the United States. Some local films too.
MONDAY OCT 11 : Celebration of Indigenous People's Day
Join the 29th annual celebration (1992-2021) of INDIGENOUS PEOPLES DAY, POW WOW & Indian Market in Berkeley (first city to ask for the term Columbus Day to be revised to Indigenous People Day in 1992) on Monday from 4 - 6 pm PST.
Join the event Live on YouTube : https://bit.ly/3lhKOME
To discover the full schedule of the various cultural events that will take place weekly until OCT 15 (and even the annual calendar of latinos events), here are some quick links:
- program per day: https://latinbayarea.com/
- and also: https://latinbayarea.com/event/2019-latino-independence-events-in-bay-area/
- Hispanic Heritage Month: https://www.hispanicheritagemonth.gov/
- 13th San Francisco Latino Film Festival : site Web du festival
- finally, annual Latin cultural program on SF, on: https://www.calle24sf.org/en/events/
- S.F. Mexican Museum’s New Digital Exhibition
- Diego Rivera Exhibit @ SF MOMA Museum
- Salsa Nights
- Bachata Jungle
Enjoy it, y ¡que viva la esencia latina! ;-)