Welcome to Middle School
At LFSF, Middle School (called "Collège" in French) includes Gr 6, Gr 7 and Gr 8 students. Gr 9 students are, like in the US, high schoolers.
In terms of Cycles of learning, it covers the end of the consolidation cycle, making Gr6 a real and gentle transition between Elementary school and Middle School, as well as the first two years of the deepening cycle.
In Middle school, students gain in autonomy.
They have a different teacher for each subject who is an expert in his/her subject and in early adolescence. They change classrooms several times throughout the day following a weekly schedule. Unlike in US schools, students remain part of a class group, which is an asset for their social well being. They are supported by their teachers, as well as by a friendly group of student monitors who play a big role in helping them get organized and adjust to their new Middle school life and environment. Time management skills and self-sufficient study habits are instilled throughout these grades to prepare students for greater autonomy and more challenging courses in High school.
IN MIDDLE SCHOOL, STUDENT perspectives WIDEn
IN MIDDLE SCHOOL, THE GIFT OF BILINGUALISM BECOMES CLEAR
The teaching of French in Cycle 4 helps students develop their critical thinking and judgement, and construct independent ideas, using precise and correct language. Students perfect their oral and written, develop their knowledge of and proficiency in the French language, and build up a literary and artistic culture.
The main AREAS covered are:
- Comprehension and oral expression
- Understanding of language (grammar, spelling, vocabulary)
- Literary and artistic culture
At the end of Grade 9, the Diplôme Bational du Brevet or DNB (National Diploma of Certification) assesses the knowledge and skills students have acquired at the end of Middle School. Students take written exams in math, French and history-geography, and an oral exam in art history.
Final DNB scores are calculated using students’ course grades during the final year of Middle School.
The DNB International option consists of all of the standard exams plus two specific oral exams in language/literature and history/geography. These two exams are taken in English.
The social and emotional well being of students remains a focus in Middle School. Areas of focus for our academic teams include various learning styles, effective time management, healthy lifestyle behavior, anti-bullying, and digital awareness.
Civic education has four main objectives during the three cycles of primary and Middle school:
- Emotional awareness : learn to identify one's feelings and emotions, put them into words, discuss them. Learn to recognize and/or understand others' feelings and emotions;
- Respecting rules : understand the meaning of rules in the classroom, primary or secondary school and to make pupils (future citizens) aware of the role and importance of law in the French Republic;
- education in moral judgement, in order to understand and discuss the moral choices encountered in life, requiring pupils to put forward arguments, debate and justify their choices;
- experiencing engagement, encouraging pupils to participate in the social life of their class and school, acquire a spirit of cooperation and a sense of responsibility towards others.
Learning continues to be adapted to the student. Teachers are extremely supportive and give students personalized attention and support. In addition, our learning specialists continue to follow students and make sure they get the help and support they need.